Sunday, April 26, 2009

"human fetus" or "baby" ?


but really, when does life begin?

photo credit: lennart nilsson photography

I'm taking this class on the sociology of sacrifice, and originally I chose to write my paper on something to do with abortion, since abortions are very much a sacrifice in one way or another. but my topic changed to be more about teen mothers and sacrifice: in what way(s) do they feel they have sacrificed something (and/or themselves), or do they feel like they have even sacrificed anything at all?

As I was interviewing my friend, who is a "teen mother" now, about her experience of deciding whether to have her baby or not, I asked her about her position concerning abortions. She told me that she is against them because she believes that it is wrong to kill/terminate a living thing. She then said, "If one can’t handle the consequences, then one should not do the crime." However, she did say that, "If the situation were that of rape or something, then I can understand the need to get an abortion, but otherwise, I feel it is very wrong." I did not ask her what she would include in the "or something," but I assume it could be any situation beyond the individual's control, or that it had to do with the beliefs/customs of the individual's culture. From this, I agree with my friend. I do believe the individual has their choice to decide, but it really depends on the situation and circumstances, and whether the individual has support in either decision that they make.

2 comments:

express yourself...